In July 2012, Initiative Africa (IA) and the British Council (BC) planned to hatch the next ECO -SCHOOLS LEADERS i.e.; schools committed to Environmental Education (EE).
In July 2012, Initiative Africa (IA) and the British Council (BC) planned to hatch the next ECO -SCHOOLS LEADERS i.e.; schools committed to Environmental Education (EE). The proposed project entitled “Improve Environmental Leadership and Active participation of Young Conservationists through Active Citizens Program in Amhara, SNNPR and Addis Ababa selected Secondary and Preparatory Schools” was hosted by Simachew Alemu Limat Foundation (SALF) - Bahir Dar, Center of Concern (COC) - Hawassa and Addis Ababa Youth Associations (AAYA) - Addis Ababa. The project facilitated enriched educational and cultural exchanges that enhance learning about issues connected to the environment and to give participants an experience that lasts a lifetime.
The project is purposefully designed to provide opportunity for young conservationists to;
- Be Inspired and Educated about the Environment in totality.
- Exercise Environmental Leadership.
- Increase awareness and understanding of the economic, cultural, scientific, and aesthetic values of living natural resources.
- Appreciate cultural diversity to work together despite differences, to break down social barriers and stereotypes, to improve self-confidence, to develop intercultural communication skills and to work with shared values and purposes for mutual benefit.
- Promote a spirit of conservation and the wise use of the earth, so that people can live in harmony and benefit from one another for centuries to come.
There are a greater variety of perspectives, cultures, and communities in today’s world than ever before. This is partly due to globalization through which people and countries have become increasingly connected culturally, politically and economically. One of the major aims of the Active Citizen project is ensuring that increasing connections lead to positive outcomes. This vision is important at a time when decisions taken locally can have an immense global impact..